Thursday, December 2, 2010

M- Ad men. Taking a nap at work.

So I started watching AMC's Mad Men and thought It had enough art in it, or was art to apply to the blog. Basically it shows how America was changing from the 50's to the 60's a time many regard as a high point for art, especially commercial art. This isn't a review of the show (though it is awesome) I just wanted to comment on an aspect of it.

What I love about the show is that it shows very clearly the difference between an office in the 60's and an office now. The workers were given a lot of leeway, drinking, smoking, sleeping in their offices, and even though they had strict deadlines and were held to very high standards I really liked the way they were given reign over their day to day as long as the work got done. Nowadays it seems like some one is always watching you and judging the "way" you work not just the final product.

I'm not saying everything was better back then, obviously civil rights, and feminism were very big problems. I just like letting the art speak for itself. Or really any work, it shouldn't matter how you get it done as long as you do. I can only imagine how any boss I've known would react if they saw me taking a nap or drinking at work not matter how good or bad my actual output was.

No comments:

Post a Comment