Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Art of Liquid.

Since I was young I have been enamored with colored liquids. From the first time I ever dropped food coloring into water and watched it swirl I have been interested in the artistic implications. I've tried to capture this feeling with traditional art but often the image looks muddy. I find I can't replicate the ethereal, almost magical effect of liquid and the translucence of the color being applied.

The first time I googled "liquid art" I came across Martin Waugh. Now whenever anyone asks me If I know any neat or original artists he is usually one of my first responses.

On his website www.liquidsculpture.com, they explain:

"Martin's creative uses of high-speed photography make it possible to capture the smooth and effortless curves of liquid, eliciting a childlike sense of fun and whimsy. Interpretations of his work often reveal as much about the viewer as the artist. His images are engaging metaphors for life and are as intriguing to the eye as they are thought provoking.
By varying the size, speed and position of drops, as well as the color, viscosity, and surface tension, Martin creates a panorama of color, movement and intrigue."

Ever since I first saw his work I've been amazed at just how captivating his images are, and it is  a reminder to me that nature puts most artistic media to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment