Sunday, August 29, 2010

Disaffecting Deviance.

For the past several years it has been my experience that Deviant Art has become the mecca of the art world. Not only can you easily upload your work for free, but an infinite amount of consumers can view and even purchase your work. Aspiring artists can get feed back, and established artists can interact with fans and let people see the art that doesn't make it into their commercial careers. You can search through thousands of art works of all varieties and compare your skills to those of artists from all across the globe. Or if your just a fan of art, you can immerse your self in the imagination and creativity of any kind of art you could ever want. 

Sounds great right? I guess, but I personally never find myself more discouraged than when browsing the Deviant galleries. Hundreds of artists with similar styles or ideas. Some less skilled then myself, several much more-so. Having a one stop web destination where you can immediately realize just how far you are from where you want to be. Or that your great original idea has been done already, by a 12 year old.

I search for inspiration or just for love of creation, but all I find is discouragement. At one time it was hard to be an artist, materials, interviews, galleries, getting a commercial art job, giving up your whole life to finally be able to express your vision whatever it may be.

Now you point and click. They look for 2 seconds and hit the next button.

I'm not saying there is no benefit to this system. The most obvious of which is it is incredibly easy to find an audience. Also helpful critiques from people in creative fields are just a click away. I just find creatively It has taken away my originality. Even though most people would never know there is another similar piece out there, I would and that just ruins it.

No comments:

Post a Comment